What are European R&D projects bringing to companies? There are many benefits, the most important, from a company’s perspective being:
• Capacity to rapidly build visibility & credibility in new areas. This is an essential strength for SMEs which, by definition, have limited resources. The extent of collaborations – with other SMEs, Industry, governmental and NGO organizations, as well as diverse research institutions – provides for fast and essential advancement on this ground.
• Advance faster than the competition. Competitiveness is key to business success and R&D performance is an essential element in this regard. European R&D opportunities provide for a very constructive set-up, allowing businesses to work with the best-in-class research organizations.
• Get customer experience & explore novel market segments & regions. By testing new technologies and applications in various countries, European projects provide for unprecedented opportunities to collect end-user feedback, providing a fertile ground for new product and service development.
• Find new business partners & develop international networks for new products. The collaborations and practical experiences taking place in the course of European R&D projects, allow to meet an important number of potential business partners. This represents a true wealth of opportunities for future cooperation.
Additional added-value: direct financing
• Many European R&D schemes bring direct cash for company’s R&D. This is, for instance, the case with Horizon projects, allowing to finance 70% or 100% of direct project costs.
Incentive for Swiss SMEs in Horizon 2020